Municipal Court Procedures

If you are coming into this court, you were charged with violating a Village Ordinance or a State of Wisconsin statute as adopted by the Village of Ashwaubenon. You have the right to enter a plea of either GUILTY, NOT GUILTY, or NO CONTEST to the charge against you.

If you plead NO CONTEST you will have the opportunity to speak to the judge. If you’re involved in the type of violation that you may be sued in a civil action (for example, an accident), the fact that you pled no contest in this court may not be used against you in this civil action. If you plead GUILTY, this is what is called an admission against interest which can, and may be used against you in a civil action. It is very important that you understand the difference.

If you plead NOT GUILTY, you will be scheduled for a pretrial conference with the Ashwaubenon Prosecuting Attorney. If the case cannot be resolved at this conference, a trial will then be scheduled and held in this court.

You also have the right to have a trial in another Municipal Court. If you want to do that, you must make a formal written request for Substitution of Judge to this court within 10 days of this appearance, or you will be forever barred from transferring the trial.

A jury trial cannot be requested for any municipal/traffic charge except operating while intoxicated or blood alcohol content. If you plead NOT GUILTY to a charge of OWI/BAC, and want a jury trial, you must make a demand to this court IN WRITING, within 10 days of your appearance and you must accompany your written demand with the jury fee of $36.00 for a six person jury trial. You must also post the bond or acquire a bond waiver. The jury fee check of $36.00 should be made out to the BROWN COUNTY CLERK. The bond check should be made out to the ASHWAUBENON MUNICIPAL COURT. The case will then be transferred to the Brown County Circuit Court for the jury trial and all further communications would be made with/from them. If you do not properly request the jury trial within this period, you are forever barred from transferring the case and it will be heard in this court.

The Court may either send you to jail or suspend your driving privileges if you do not pay your forfeiture within the Judge’s given time period. If there is a suspension of the driver’s license or ability to obtain a drivers license, you must first pay the forfeiture, then go to the Department of Transportation and pay $60.00 to reinstate your operating privileges. In addition to jail time or suspension of your license, the court will attempt to certify your debt through the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.

When you approach the bench in traffic cases the Court will inform you of the points involved in your case. The Court will also advise you as to the possible forfeiture and costs involved in both municipal and traffic cases.

The Court can accept cash, check, cashier's check or money order during office hours.  If you want to pay via credit card go online to Point&Pay or call AllPaid at 1-888-604-7888.  You will need the Pay Location Code #1625, and also your citation number. There is a service fee for payments made over the phone and as well as online.

Notice To The Accused

You may be charged with a violation of the law which requires, upon conviction, your operator’s record be charged with Demerit Points and the Motor Vehicle Department may suspend your operating privileges when your driving record shows that you have obtained or accumulated 12 points in 12 months (violation date to violation date).

Demerit Points Regarding Probationary Drivers License

The demerit points charged against the record of any person who holds an instruction permit or probationary license on the date of the conviction, or an unlicensed person who would be issued a probationary license or instruction permit if proper application were made and all other requirements for license were met, shall have the demerit points doubled on the second and all subsequent convictions, unless the conviction is for a violation of ch.347 of the WI State Statute.

The following demerit point accumulations, calculated from the date of violation, shall result in the following suspension or revocation periods, if the driver holds an instruction permit or a probationary license, or would be issued an instruction permit or probationary license upon proper application and meeting other requirements.

Demerit Points Accumulated (in a 12 month period)     Length of Revocation or Suspension
12 through 30 points ------------------ 6 months
More than 30 points ------------------ 1 year